Ended June 13, 2014
Sold: $7,100 33 Bids
Mission, BC, Canada
Miles: 53,872
Automatic transmission
Exterior: Gold
Interior: Brown Leather
Sellers Description
1973 Citroen SM 3-litre V-6 Maserati engine with Borg Warner 3-speed automatic. Running. Original radio. US spec headlights. Basically rust free. Transmission works well. Engine running well but muffler is shot. Water and hydraulic hoses old. Water squirting from a rear hose last time it was started for pictures. Overall condition is good to very good.

Legally imported into Canada in 1998 from Seattle, Washington, but never registered here – still has Washington State front plate (IJA 182 – last taxed in 1981). I have the US certificate of title and the Canadian vehicle import form and customs duty form. It was registered with the US customs before leaving the US. It has been in my garage ever since then.

I converted the car to the Titus electronic ignition and it starts first time, every time. The original twin-points distributor will be with the car. As far as I know, the exhaust valves have NOT be changed to stainless steel. 53,872 miles on the odometer.

I can’t find any rust anywhere except a little at the bottom rear of the passenger-side front fender and some minor areas around the rear window and a couple of other spots shown in the photographs. The under-coating looks almost perfect.

The inside floors under the carpets are treated with bitumen sheathing that’s still pliable. Seat leather generally good except the front portion of the passenger seat that is brittle and broken. Dashboard is good with no cracks. Original Citroen radio. All the glass looks good. Stick shifter is broken but still shifts.

I believe it was resprayed by the previous owner shortly before he died (I think in 1997 or ‘98) but the paint is bubbling in several areas (see pix). Previous owner had the car evaluated in 1993 before he bought it but he never had it on the road.

Headliner intact and in good condition.

Have many repair files on CD, including various engine adjustments, parts book, and engine rebuild manuals, that go with the car.

Air intake filter housing, aluminum trunk cover, spare wheel with cloth cover, and right rear fender side-marker light included but not on car or in pictures.

Engine type is C114.04/2, serial no. 450.010.

Car is Type SB, Series SD, vehicle VIN no. 00SD0047

There is an extra plate in the engine compartment no. 0059.008459. I don't know what this is.

Transmission is a Borg-Warner Model 35, 3-speed automatic manufactured in Hertfordshire, England, serial no. 431-1410.

Although this car is running, it is NOT drivable due to the likelihood of old hoses leaving you stranded. Also, I do not believe the original sodium-filled exhaust valves have been changed and these are a well-know problem area so it is not advisable to run the engine any more than absolutely necessary until the valves are changed to stainless steel, available for purchase elsewhere. The car is currently sitting in my driveway, covered. My location is in Mission, British Columbia: About an hour's drive east of Vancouver. The car will need to be trailered.
Attachments
$_57 (5).JPG
$_57 (5).JPG (565.03 KiB) Viewed 5634 times
$_57 (8).JPG
$_57 (8).JPG (245.18 KiB) Viewed 5634 times
$_57 (7).JPG
$_57 (7).JPG (345.14 KiB) Viewed 5634 times
$_57 (6).JPG
$_57 (6).JPG (350.63 KiB) Viewed 5634 times
1972 Citroen SM
5-Speed
hydropneumatic